iN wOnDeRLaNd... wE'rE aLL MaD...

"Would you tell me please which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't care where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My Scientific Report on the First Day of School as an Arts student

Aim: To analyse my first day of school as an Arts student

Hypothesis:

As I only have a two hour social work lecture, I expected it to be rather uneventful. I pictured it to be something like this: me travelling more than an hour to school, loiter around a bit, enter the lecture room, sit alone at some corner, listen to an old man talk for two hours and obediently head my way back home.

Experimental results:

Was travelling on the MRT when a panic attack striked because I realise I did not prepare anything for the lecture and wondered if there was anything to prepare in the first place. I called up Margaret, my fellow talent scout colleague who was also a second year arts student majoring in social work, to reassure myself.

I reached school and alighted at the central library instead to see if I could get some books but was overwhelmed by the queue.

Went to the lecture room and sat next to a guy and two girls. I talked to them a little. The guy offered me a sweet.

The old man was much younger and he only talked for slightly more than an hour.

I did not go home yet. Margaret invited me to her friend's birthday party at Munchie Monkeys cafe. There were a few social work and a few psychology majors there. All extremely amiable and typical church-goers. Ate the Al Funghi pasta and a piece of birthday cake.

Discovered it was weird of me celebrating a birthday for a total stranger and I excused myself to go to the bookstore to get my books.

Went to watch fireworks with conrad. See attached research photographs:

The fireworks was magnificent and I furiously took pictures with my camera. Conrad was even reminding me to watch the fireworks and stop taking pictures of it.

Then Conrad sent me home with his motorbike. It was my first time riding and the feeling was good. In fact, it was great.

Overview:


Inferences:

The panic attacks can just get more frequent in the coming weeks. I must admit I am rather stressed out even though the real pressure is not really here yet. It is the anticipation of fear more than fear itself that chills me to the core. I have been sleeping a lot to avoid the reality and is generating much guilt and anxiety in the process. I am working hard to get my engines started and I hope I can keep it going.

However, I discovered that I am not as shy as before. I have always been morbidly allergic to strangers. Yet I have been making reasonably engaging conversations with quite a few people recently.

I was enlightened by the burst of fireworks. I discovered that I have been focusing on the wrong objectives all this while. I never live in the moment. When happy and exciting events come, I take so much effort trying to preserve and prolong it and before I could succeed, it is already gone.

I should instead, just enjoy what comes along the way. It does not matter if it is short-lived like the fireworks. The fireworks are beautiful all the same even if it is just for that instant. The fireworks display will come one after another and we are supposed to enjoy it, not take pictures of it.

Theorem: The strength of the wind while travelling in a vehicle is directly proportional to the amount of exposure to the environment your vehicle is subjecting you to.

*Riding on a motorbike is just so shiok.

1 Comments:

Blogger lionhearty said...

ha, i lurve tis entry! the way u pictured ur day is so... erm, haa... light-hearted. esp the graph thingy!

enjoy ur wkend.

-eddie

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home